Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

"Hotel" Hasbro

Friday afternoon I took Teagan to the doctor because she had what I thought were minor cold symptoms. In fact, I almost didn't take her at all because her two month well visit was scheduled for Tuesday. However, the night before she hadn't eaten from 2 am to 11:30 am and had a feaver of 100.4, so I decided I better take her in. When we got there the doctor listened to her breathe and then ever so calmly told me that he wanted to do a very quick test to see if she was RSV (Respiratory Syncytial Virus) positive, but then we needed to give her an immediate breathing treatment and take her to the hospital. Five days later, we are finally home from what the nurses refer to as "Hotel" Hasbro (Hasbro Children's Hospital).
Teagan was diagnosed with RSV positive Bronchiolitis and while we were in the doctors office she was in Respiratory Distress. The doctor said it was equivilant to a fifty year old man having a heart attack. Thankfully the breathing treatment stabalized her enough to get her to the ER. A normal baby's respiratory rate is usually in the 30's and 40's. Teagan's was over 100 at the doctor, 90 in the ER, and then ranged from 60 to 80 while she was admitted. It was pretty scary. I felt better about the whole thing once I understood it a little more and knew what all the numbers meant on the various machines she was hooked up to. There is nothing sadder than seeing your two month old daughter with an IV and monitors hooked up to her.
They had to continuously deep suction her with a tiny tube down her nose and into her throat. Now that she is doing better I can use the aspirator instead. RSV is actually a common virus, but because of how young Teagan is it effects her much more drastically and has been fatal in other cases.
I thank God for getting us through this and for the amazing love and support that we continue to have from our family and friends. Both grandmas came right away of course, Nana flying in from Florida. Although I think she would use any excuse to come visit. Teagan is doing so much better now and we go for a follow up discharge visit on Thursday.

7 comments:

Rya Nicole said...

Okay, a lot longer than you thought, but very glad to hear that she is doing better. We will keep you guys in our thoughts for a full recovery.

Rya Nicole said...

I am glad to hear that she is better and that you guys are finally home. I hope that she gets well soon.

Anonymous said...

That's so scary! I tear up just reading your account. We are all so relieved to hear that she is doing so much better and back home again. Way to be a watchful Mom! Good job Jamie. Love to all, Aunt Bev

Gwen said...

jamie! i can't imagine how scary that must have been! so glad to hear that she is okay and we'll be praying for you guys as she continues to get better. it always amazes me how that motherly intuition kicks in and you know when something is wrong. great job mom :)

Unknown said...

Jamie,

Thank goodness you listen to you gut feelings. I am so happy it turned out well. Take care of yourself too.
Love,
Aunt Ginny

Grace said...

poor baby T =[ i hope she is feeling better. eleanor also had RSV when she was a baby, it was so scary.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness!! I'm so glad she is okay!! I don't think there could be anything scarier than a sick infant!