Friday the 13th, was the opening of Cryptic Providence. The opening was a huge success and they estimated around 200 people coming throughout the night. I want to thank everyone who came out to support me. I also want to thank Bruce Willard for his incredible carpentry skills, dedication to the project, and support of his crazy daughter-in-law. Here is my piece and a little more information about the rest of Cryptic Providence...

The Willard men helping with the installation.

The front of my Tree of Life that measures 8' tall and about 5 1/2' wide, with a short write up about it that I "buried" next to it. I was able to pick where in the North Burial Grounds that I wanted my installation, so I chose the field of unmarked graves because I wanted it to represent everyone in the cemetery; those with expensive monuments to those who were unrecognized. I also had the front of the tree facing East because that is said to be judgement day.


The back of the tree.


{Profile}

Some of my supporters on opening night. There was a steady flow of traffic, which was nice. We left pretty early to have dinner with friends and I was told that the majority of the crowds came after that because that was when the performances started.

The Willard men helping with the installation.

The front of my Tree of Life that measures 8' tall and about 5 1/2' wide, with a short write up about it that I "buried" next to it. I was able to pick where in the North Burial Grounds that I wanted my installation, so I chose the field of unmarked graves because I wanted it to represent everyone in the cemetery; those with expensive monuments to those who were unrecognized. I also had the front of the tree facing East because that is said to be judgement day.


The back of the tree.


{Profile}

Some of my supporters on opening night. There was a steady flow of traffic, which was nice. We left pretty early to have dinner with friends and I was told that the majority of the crowds came after that because that was when the performances started.

My incredible carpenter who I wouldn't have been able to complete this project without! Thank you again Bruce so much!

This project is an interpretation of the Tree of Life that is found in various religious texts, as it has been translated and further interpreted to more modern terms. The ten circles of the Tree of Life correlate to the bubbles found within the tree.


Here is what you see within the ten bubbles that can be viewed from both sides: {I hope this helps explain the project a little better because I know it is hard to really see from the pictures.}
Body + Sensations = a collection of small animal bonesSubconscious = a miniature ecosphere to represent mother nature, something that is a part of all of us and should be an important part of our subconscious
Heart = an image of Owen, who represents the innocents of life and questions the meaning of life and death, and the phases of the tree of life

Feelings = an empty bubble for one to interpret
Love = this means family to me, which one gets a strong sense of when looking at the scripture of headstones in the North Burial Grounds. This bubble has handmade crocheted baby booties that Grammy Helen made. Thanks Gram!
Spiritual will: Purpose = statue of Buddha encased by red ribbon. Even if you are not a Buddhist, Buddha represents the peace in all of us and the red ribbon has different religious connotations including guarding off evil spirits.
Thoughts = My thoughts when creating this project were of Trish, so this bubble has an image of her encased in a smaller bubble that hangs on the front side of the tree and red rose petals from her funeral on the other side.
Will = a statue of a winged cherub that is so often seen in the North Burial Grounds and represents the will of many who are buried there
Spiritual love: Awareness = a rosary to represent the majority of those buried there and to signify my own spiritual awareness
Self = this questions the notion of what one wants in the end; for me it is to be cremated so the bubble is filled with the cremations of the late Thornton Willard generously donated by Grammy Helen.
Below is a poster for the project that is hanging up around town. There were a couple of press releases that went out and then the curator of the project, Jay Critchley, was interviewed on NPR and two local TV stations.
There are many interesting installations through out the burial grounds as well as performance pieces taking place during the summer. Below are some websites you can check out of other projects:
Strange Loop Tour
The Bells Ring for Thee
http://areacmusic.com/
http://ripsinfo.blogspot.com/
This is an installation in the Potter's Field made up of small bells made out of recycled cans. It is called the Bells Ring for Thee. It makes a very nice, although subtle, chime.

I'm not sure what the installation below is called, but I really like it. It is basically some chicken wire that has pieces of fabric and removable sharpies hanging on it. You are then encouraged to write a message to a loved one or a prayer of some sort. There is also a bench that they built for reflection.

Overall I think Cryptic Providence is a success and I believe it will encourage people to visit this historic landmark. I am excited to be a part of it and hope that you will take the time to see it for yourself if you are in the area.
Thanks to all those who contributed in one way or another, and to everyone for your support.


2 comments:
Jamie--Kudos to you and Bruce on a job well done. Your interpretation and presentation are excellent. I pictured in my mind what you were talking about and the only difference was that I thought the bubbles would be hanging instead of encased in the tree. The pictures really brought it to life and I like the real thing better. I know this exhibit isn't to judge the artists, but, if it were, you have nailed first place! I am really, really impressed! Love, Aunt Bev
Wow! This is absolutely fabulous Jae!! I'm so impressed with your vision and execution of the piece...wish I could see it in person! I'm so happy you decided to stick with it under the circumstances :) Way to go girl!!!!
Post a Comment