Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, April 25, 2008

Earth Day

Because every day should be Earth Day, Owen and I spent a little time picking up trash in the woods at the end of our street on Wednesday rather than Tuesday, the actual day. Tuesday we had every intention of doing the same with Amy and Riley in the park by their house, but ended up playing in the backyard because baby Keller was napping the entire time. Owen really enjoyed helping me pick up the trash and did such a good job too. When the bag was full and I tied it up he said, "No Mama, more trash." Unfortunately he was right, there will always be more and more trash unveiled as leaves disappear and people continue to pollute our world. I have decided to do at least one bag a week until the path by our house is "clean".

I really don't understand where this stuff comes from. A couple of months ago I saw very small fragments of some red fabric. Now there is enough different fabrics on the path to upholstery an entire room.

I wore gloves to pick up the trash and brought a pair for Owen knowing that he would want them after seeing mine. I honestly thought that he would really just wander around rather than helping me pick up the trash, but I was wrong. He put on one of the gloves and actually helped me put things into the bag.

It's hard to see in this picture, but it is almost like someone took their recycling bin of plastic bottles and dumped it in the woods. It just breaks my heart. Not only the fact that people can leave trash randomly, but not even think about the fact that it is recyclable. Even more frightening is that people that I am extremely close to don't recycle. I really don't understand how that is possible. (You know who you are, and I am counting on you to change!)

Seriously people... a refrigorator door!!!!



This is such a beautiful place and I am dedicated to cleaning it up! If everyone picked a small area to concentrate on in their immediate lives, just imagine the results.

Owen running to tell me that he found even more trash. Don't worry big guy, hopefully in a couple of weeks there will only be the occasional beer bottle from recent teenagers hanging out.

I encourage you to take a walk and really see the trash that exists. Then take a few minutes to clean it up and let others see that they can make a difference too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy being mentioned on your blog! Good job and keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Once again you and Owen make Aunt Bev proud! Keep up your good works.
Do you want me to "out" the infamous anonymous non-recycler proud to be referenced in your blog?
Love you,
Aunt Bev