On our way back to the city, as I was making work related phone calls, I was both pleasantly and angrily surprised to find out that one of the window treatments I had designed for a client was voted top 5 out of 3,000 for Chicago Home and Garden Magazine's Best of the Best. This was indeed an honor, but because I did not know mine had been selected as a finalist, I couldn't tell all of you to go online and vote for it. Sadly now the contest is over and since I haven't heard from them, I am assuming I didn't win. This was upsetting, but nowhere near the blow we were about to take.
Today as I was about to leave for work, there was a woman at my door that I had not seen in a very long time and didn't really recognize either. I now understand why she seemed so different. Many of you have heard Mike and I talk about the little neighborhood boys who have been coming to our house since we moved here five years ago. Although they haven't been around as often lately, we still see them in the park and try to be positive role models for them. A couple of summers ago we even raised money for them to join the little league. Anyway, Chris, the one who first followed us home from the park that very first time we took our new puppy Diesel, died last week. It was his mother at the door to give me the sad news. She and Chris had moved to another area a couple of months ago, but he would still stop by with the other boys when he was in the neighborhood. He was always full of life, making people laugh, and willing to help out with the chores around the house. He loved helping me make dinner. Mostly I think so he could then eat it, but it was fun none the less. He will be missed. Chris was 14 years old.
I will spare you the details of his death and instead leave you with some pictures of the weekend.

Papa and Owen
(Owen is wearing one of my old T-shirts from the plastic company Papa used to own, Nyloncraft. The T-shirt is actually from Nyloncraft Learning Center, the first 24 Hour daycare to be established, which my dad had started for factory workers.)


Owen loved the hammock and even knew to rock from side to side to get it to sway.
He also loved the castle...




Owen likes smelling things lately and understands to give a little sniff. It is very cute. I just realized this the other day when we were playing our little stinky feet game and he sniffed his own foot.

After we got back to the city Monday afternoon, we went over to Steve and Ingrid's house, our neighbors, for a BBQ in the backyard. Here is their two year old daughter Emma, and Owen showing eachother their bellies.







Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of Chris on our computer, but he had a very nice smile and bright eyes. I did however, remember a picture that I took just a few days before Chris' death of Nicholas, one of the other little boys, pushing Owen on the swing. Please let these pictures be a reminder that life is precious...





No comments:
Post a Comment